Medicare Supplement Underwriting
Medicare Supplement Under Writing Questions
Now most of you may know that Medicare Supplement insurance plans are medically underwritten. So what that means is that if you are not in your Open Enrollment or Guaranteed Issue period then you will have to go through the Medicare Supplement underwriting process.
Medicare Supplement Underwriting Questions Information
Let’s go over the Medicare Supplement underwriting questions themselves. Now all of the insurance companies are not going to have ALL of the same questions. Some companies are going to be more strict than others. But they are all different in there own way. The other thing that you have to look at is how the questions are being asked. The questions can be tricky at some point.
I am going to put the main questions that are the most common asked during the interview below.
- Are you currently confined or has confinement been recommended to a bed, hospital, nursing facility or other care facility or do you need the assistance of a wheelchair, cane, walker, or motorized mobility device?
- Within the past 2 years have you been advised to have surgery which has not yet been done?
- At anytime to 5 years have you ever consulted for treatment, sought treatment, had treatment recommended, received treatment, been hospitalized for, or taken or been advised by a physician to take prescription drugs(excluding drugs for high blood pressure) for the following conditions:
- Heart or vascular conditions including but limited to heart attack, open heart surgery, placement of a stent, heart valve replacement, angioplasty, aneurysm, congestive heart failure, enlarged heart, cardiovascular heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, coronary artery disease, irregular heartbeat, or stroke?
- At anytime to 5 years have you had Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia, Parkinson’s Disease, organic brain disorder, any neurological disorder or other senility disorder?
- At anytime to 5 years have you had or been treated for any respiratory conditions including but not limited to COPD, asthma, emphysema, or use of inhalers, nebulizers, or any other cardio-pulmonary disorder requiring oxygen.
- Between 2-5 years have you had or been treated for internal cancer, Melanoma?
- Now the diabetic question is going to go into more detail. If you have diabetes and take insulin then depending on the company you either can’t be using insulin at all or if you are, then you can’t be using more than 50 units per day. Also with diabetes if you have retinopathy, neuropathy, peripheral artery disease, peripheral venous thrombotic disease, any heart disorder(including high blood pressure), stroker, transient ischemic attack(TIA) or kidney disease then you will most likely get declined during your application.
- If you have AIDS then you will also get declined during the Medicare Supplement Underwriting process.
- At anytime to 5 years have you had or been treated for chronic kidney disease, kidney/renal failure, kidney/renal dialysis, cirrhosis of the liver, organ transplant (except cornea) or amputation?
- In between one to two years have you had or been advised to have a placement or a pacemaker or joint replacement?
- Rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative bone disease or arthritis that restricts mobility?
- Have you been to the hospital 2-3 or more times within the past 2 years?
For more information
Now those are not all of the Medicare Supplement underwriting questions. Those are just going to be the most common ones asked during the interview.
If you have any questions about the Medicare Supplement underwriting questions then feel free to give me a call here at 1-800-Medigap. Or you can reach me personally at 901-KORTNI8